Sunday, July 12, 2009

Golden Age Firestorm?

Last January I mentioned Spark Publications' Golden Lad. Today, I present two other Spark Publication characters - including one who may have been an inspiration for DC's Firestorm.

The first is the Green Lama, who was a character who first appeared in Prize Comics over at Crestwood Publications. I presented two issues of the Prize version of the character back in February. Here is an issue of the Green Lama from Spark.


Green Lama

[ Green Lama 5 ]

The other Spark hero for today was created by Golden Age Legend Jerry Robinson - the atomic powered Atoman. Notice the similarities to Atoman's costume and DC's Firestorm. (Another atomic powered hero) - Coincidence? I think not! :)


Atoman 01


[ Atoman 01 ]

5 comments:

Pierre Villeneuve said...

Atoman was another character that I first saw in "the Great Comic Book Artists".

Although the book was in Black and White.... so I never made that Firestorm at the time. ;)

Pierre Villeneuve said...

Arrgghh!!

I meant "Firestorm connection at the time"

Reno said...

I'm getting more of a Charlton Captain Atom vibe from Atoman. You know, the first costume he wore (the yellow one)?

Jim Shelley said...

@Pierre, I need to pick that book up, it seems to be getting referenced here a lot.

@Reno, I can see that connection as well. Especially the chainmail looking costume. Good Call!

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Interesting. I'd never heard of Atoman before now. I can see the similarities to Firestorm, but they could be a coincidence. I wrote up similarities between Firestorm and Iron Man, explaining that there are certain standards in superhero costumes that tend to be repeated.

http://firestormfan.com/2009/02/04/firestorm-iron-man-costume-similarities/

Regardless, interesting possibility and thanks for the comics!

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails