Friday, September 24, 2010

A new Lost Universe?

EDITOR'S NOTE: This article is another one of Caine's explorations into the Lost Universes of defunct companies. You can read other Lost Universe articles here. - Jim

Today were going to take a look at what is reportedly the newest comic book universe to to join the ranks of the "LOST UNIVERSE'S" here at the FBU, that of the WILDSTORM Universe.


Dan Didio & Jim Lee had this (and more) to say on the subject:

"After taking the comics scene by storm nearly 20 years ago, the WildStorm Universe titles will end this December. In this soft marketplace, these characters need a break to regroup and redefine what made them once unique and cutting edge. While these will be the final issues published under the WildStorm imprint, it will not be the last we will see of many of these heroes. We, along with Geoff Johns, have a lot of exciting plans for these amazing characters, so stay tuned. Going forward, WildStorm’s licensed titles and kids comics will now be published under the DC banner. "~The Bleed

Of course, they are saying that the WILDSTORM characters will not vanish into the wind and will show up in the regular DCU but to what end?  The DCU has 75+ years of history and the characters know one another.  The WILDSTORM characters, as stated above, only have 20+ years and they don't all really know one another so well.

Where will characters like Midnighter, Apollo, and Mr. Majestic (who's been in the DCU proper before) find a place in the DCU when they were basically created as an analog to pre-existing DCU characters in the first place?  Its easy to hypothesize a miniseries where Midnighter goes toe to to with Batman, or Apollo meets Superman in space but beyond that it's any ones guess.  Could Lucas "Midnighter" Trent be one of the Batmen we've been told to expect?  Would he want to?  Bruce Wayne had a raving psychotic on his staff once before, Jean Paul Valley, so I'm not sure he'll go for it again.


What about the non character type entities of the WILDSTORM universe?  What about organizations (I.O., Black Razers, Black Ops etc)?  The DCU all ready has Checkmate, The Suicide Squad, and others.  What about alien life forms ( Kherubim, Daemonites, & The Drahn)?  The DCU all ready has Tamarans, Ungarans, & Kryptonianans.

I don't think this will be good for the Wildstorm characters at all.  I'm not the only one either....


"I received a bit of bad news yesterday, Wildstorm will cease to be at the end of December. While WS and I didn't always see eye to eye, a good part of my life happened there. First pro work, met Jess there, learned the ins and outs of comic production. So it's with mixed feelings I write this, sad to see it go, hoping that the old WS might see a resurrection in the DC universe. Hoping that whoever does something with Backlash doesn't change stuff just to change stuff. Good bye Wildstorm, you will be missed.  Brett [Booth]"~Demon Puppy



"My thanks to Bob Harris for believing in us...for Jim Lee for believing in Bob and us and for the crew at wildstorm for letting us get a bit nutty under their guidence. As well a big thanks for all the wonderful talent that were along for the ride...the best of the best. Below is a cover gallery of some of those books. Enjoy."~ Jimmy Palmiotti


As for me, I don't think I ever enjoyed an entire universe of comics more.  I remember discovering StormWatch, about a international peace keeping force stationed on a space station, completely by accident.  When I flipped open the pages I saw art done by Scott Clark, who'd drawn another comic I'd liked before although the Wildstorm art he was doing was very different. 

It was in StormWatch where I learned of a costumed spy who could turn to mist, kind of like a vampiric Nick Fury (Backlash) who was just as cool, if not cooler than Batman (he who all heroes are judged against :).  This led me to a mini series where he and another guy with a trench coat, a jagged red rag of a face mask and two big pistols (Grifter) took on a  pack of Ferrel people.  I haven't stopped buying comics since.  Thanks Wildstorm.




They even published some of my art...




Have a great weekend,


C Dorr

3 comments:

Reno said...

I don't think they'll be incorporating the Wildstorm characters into the DCU proper (lie what they did with the Red Circle ones), but they'll be in their own universe (if ever DC decides to publish them again). Remember, the Wildstorm Universe was established as one of the 52 earths.

As for me, I'm just curious what happens to Astro City now.

Caine said...

@Reno

Yeah I remember Wildstorm being established as an earth, I wrote that into the backlash/taboo panel as kind of a joke.

Astro City isn't a Wildstorm Property per say it was always a HOMAGE property. I don't think DC bought those. I'm betting Astro City becomes just an IMAGE book and Kurt Busiak becomes a self publisher. Either that, or BOOM!

RVF said...

Jim Lee sold his ass. Wildstorm was a truly state-of-the-art Universe, I grow up with amazing series like Gen13, DV8, Stormwatch, Wildcats, The Authority.. and now everything goes fucked up.

I'm angry like a back-fucked camel.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails