Monday, June 2, 2014

What I hope Superman vs Batman Isn't

Editor's Note: Stevie B returns this week with a post about his thoughts on the Superman Vs Batman movie. - Jim

DC recently announced the official title of the Man of Steel sequel. Turns out, it’s not a Man of Steel sequel at all.

 

My fellow podcast brothers and I recently poked fun at this on a weekly SNL Weekend update style Nerdy News show we do. This is what we came up with.



You can see the full video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7P7a4SK3p8

Two things I want to talk about here:

First, this title almost solidifies that at some point during the movie, there will be a fight between Batman and Superman. I was really hoping that this wasn’t going to be the case. Furthermore, with this image being released:   



It almost guarantees we will see a variation of the fight from the end of Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns. I was desperately hoping that we would avoid this. Specifically this scene.



It looks like that won’t be the case.

I’m one of the biggest Superman fanboys I know. When I collide with a similarly scaled Batman fanboy, the age old Batman Vs Superman almost inevitably comes up. Honestly, I’m almost sick to death of the argument, but Warner Bros. knows it’s what the mainstream wants and, by god, they are going to get it!

I would much rather have had this movie be titled World’s Finest, and not have it include this drag down fight everyone wants to see. I really enjoyed the Superman Animated Series version which encompassed three episodes titled World’s Finest.


Superman and Batman didn’t fight, but also didn’t like each at other at first. Batman, simply, showed Superman that he could do everything that a man with superpowers from outer space could do just in a different fashion.  It concluded with the two realizing that they could do much greater good together than apart. THAT is what I would like to see.

Unfortunately, people want to see the drag down fight and watch Batman win because “HE’S BATMAN”! I have a strong suspicion that is what will get, and I will have to keep reminding people that even though he won here, Superman, at anytime he wanted, could simply lobotomize Batman from Space. 

The second thing I wanted to mention with this title is it seems they are going a different route than Marvel Studios’ movies. I’m not sure if he had some insider information, but Kevin Smith said, on his Hollywood Babble-On Podcast, this:

"They’re obviously beginning something, and there’s a stretch of these flicks. This is the beginning of the Justice League, as we all suspected as they were announcing that cast. We were like, ‘This is the beginning of a Justice League movie.’ From what I understand now, it’s no longer like, ‘This is Superman 2.’ They’re not doing these things. They’re doing like, ‘Here’s Man of Steel. Here’s Batman/Superman: Dawn of Justice.’ The next one is not like a sequel to one of the characters. They’re just going to keep building their universe for about five or six movies. But all of them…it’s supposed to tell one massive story, which is all Justice League oriented."

I am 100 percent for this, and I think it’s a good way for DC to “catchup”. Having these movies to focus on one of the Justice league members but include the others, is a good jump ahead and can end up really good if written well. I know that I was watching Iron Man 3 thinking, “Where is Captain America while the AMERICAN President is being abducted?” I know that’s a small nitpick but it would be fun to see that sort of thing and it seems DC may be going that route.

While pondering this with Jim, I had a thought: “What’s one thing that would blow the lid off of the DC movies?”



The Crime Syndicate.
How Awesome would it be, if these actors played the evil versions of themselves, and actually fought them?! Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I feel with some good build up that could turn out great! This would also mean the inclusion of the DC multiverse, in some fashion, which is kind of scary, but it can be done!

That’s my dream. What would you like to see in an ongoing series of Justice League Movies?

-StevieB

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a Crime Syndicate or JSA movie. Just not a reboot of Dark Knight Returns.

- Shannon

JP Cote said...

Please, no kryptonite. It is the weakest, most overused plot device in a Superman script writer's arsenal. It plan "A" for people who don't know how to write a Superman story or what Superman is all about.

Totally agree with the Dark Knight Returns. Been there, done that.

Using the CSA as a main villain would be cool but maybe too much or too soon after the destruction in The Man Of Steel. Pinning Superman vs Superman again, seen it already.

Considering Luthor is in the movie, maybe we are looking at something closer to World's Finest. We can only hope . ..

MattComix said...

I've really always thought this whole idea of Superman vs. Batman was one of the dumbest questions in all of comics. Not just because of the obvious gulf between their abilities but more because they're both heroes. Why does anyone require that validation of their favorite hero based on their even hypothetical ability to destroy another?

Besides no one truly wins that fight unless you just really hate the other character and maybe that's fine when one is talking smack with other fans but that's not what these characters actually stand for and I have no real desire to see message board debates made into comics or movies. That's a lousy excuse for entertainment IMO.

Don't get me wrong I realize that having there be some antagonism when heroes first meet is kind of superhero writing 101. ..but when your first salvo in promoting your movie is quoting a book that features Superman as a government stooge and Batman psychotically getting off on hurting him that doesn't inspire confidence for me.

I also found the lack of true Man Of Steel sequel very disappointing but I can also see using Superman as the audience window into the larger DCU. It's not a bad concept by itself and one that could potentially play very well to the themes of Superman as a bringer of hope and helping humanity accomplish wonders.

Unknown said...

@Shannon How awesome would that be! The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of the heroes having to battle their evil counterparts!

@JP Cote I agree with your Kryptonite statement. Unfortunately, if this truly is a versus movie, what else would they use? I hate the idea too, but I'm prepping for it.

I was actually thinking, maybe the "Good Luthor" brings the JL to his world to save it. No destruction comes to Earth Prime but we get to experience lots of cool stuff. Maybe a bit of a cop out, but it's a way to do it. Also, I would LOVE it to be more like World's Finest.

@MattComix I think we see completely eye to eye on this. It was my whole inspiration for this post. They are much better fighting together. It's there polar opposites as heroes that make them so interesting when they work together. I really liked the Superman/Batman runs from years ago. I've been collecting them in trade for some time. When I see a page and it's Superman's thoughts then Batman's thoughts, I love it.

I would have liked to see Superman more established alone in these movies but I think this is just DC trying to catch up to the movie game. Hopefully they don't botch it.

Reno said...

This is one of those movies I won't be paying to see. I'll wait for it on HBO or something. Man of Steel really soured me on the DCU movies. If it turns our to be good (or even okay) then I'd be willing to see the next one in the theaters. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the DCU they're building on TV (Arrow and The Flash).

MattComix said...

@StevieB. My fear is that they already have by deciding to use one of the most over-rated comics of all time as their guiding light. The major thing though that would turn it around for me would be if they actually had the guts to allow Superman to effect his world view.

Basically if this is an older, worn down Batman and Superman helps renew his own sense of hope that would be interesting. But so far it just looks like Frank Miller's Wrestlemania.

Jim Shelley said...

Here's my concern - Snyder has proven that panel by panel comic book adaptations work in movies (Sin City, Watchmen) so I'm about 50% certain that we are going to see a lot of DKR in SvB.

Now, the real question for me will be how good will it be and what ELSE will they put in there? (Wonder Woman? Flash? Green Lantern?)

I agree with Matt that the best course would be for Superman to somehow help a world weary Batman find his way again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails